To the parents of seniors: please join us for Senior Showcase Day on Wednesday, June 8 from 8:45 am to 3:10 pm at the Maggie L. Walker Governor's School when seniors will make professional presentations on their respective topics of interest studied through a seminar or mentorship during the year. We hope to see you there! Invitations (with schedule) were mailed on Friday, May 13.
A note to students: on the morning of June 8, all students report to their first block class to pick up their schedules for the day.
A note to the entire school community:
(1) Calling all parents: I am looking for volunteers to staff various stations throughout the school. It’s an important but easy job–feel free to bring a book or some other project that you want to work on during quiet moments. The schedule consists of 4 sessions: 8:50 am - 10:10 am; 10:20 am - 11:40 pm; 12:20 pm - 1:40 pm and 1:50 pm - 3:10 pm. Volunteers may sign up for one session or combine two for a half-day morning or afternoon shift. Parents who can volunteer should contact Sharon Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(2) The Freshman Class:
- First session (8:50 am - 10:10 pm) in the auditorium viewing presentations from two mentorship students;
Second session (10:20 am - 11:40 am), freshmen will remain in the auditorium for a presentation by the Music Seminar.
- From 11:40 am - 1:45 pm, the freshman class will enjoy a cookout and field activities organized by the Fab 5: Karl Zweerink, Paige Hawkins, Quincy Waller, Mike Brown and Don Blanton (thanks team!). Please dress comfortably and according to dress code (tennis shoes, shorts, etc.). This is yet another great opportunity for parent volunteers! We will need approximately 3-5 lucky freshmen parents who want to assist the Fab 5. Timeframe: 10:15 am - 1:45 pm. If you’re interested, please email email@example.com.
- First session (8:50 am - 10:10 am), the sophomore class will enjoy a brief overview of the Senior Seminar/Mentorship Program since they will begin planning for this in their junior year. Please dress comfortably as you will be sitting on the gym floor for the small group sessions.
- For the second session, the sophomores will move to the auditorium for the Music Seminar presentation. This will give them a chance to see the type of work accomplished in one of our seminars.
- For the remainder of the day, the Sophomore Class will join the Junior Class in viewing various presentations in the 3rd and 4th sessions. Sophomores and juniors will obviously be seniors soon enough. Having the opportunity to see what’s ahead will provide valuable insight into planning a meaningful senior year.