Welcome Message from Our New Director

It is my honor to serve as Interim Director for the first semester at Maggie Walker Governor’s School. This will give the search committee time to find a dedicated leader to guide this outstanding school into the future.

I have been in education for over 40 years. After teaching in Pulaski County for 25 years, I moved to Chesterfield and entered into a new phase of my professional life. I served in administration for 13 years at Manchester High School, Midlothian High School, and retired as principal at Bailey Bridge Middle School. Since retirement I served as Interim Director at Appomattox Regional Governor’s School before joining the staff at Maggie Walker Governor’s School.

I would like to share with you a few of my observations about Maggie Walker. Prior to arriving, I had heard about this school and knew it was a school dedicated to serving gifted students. However, I must say after 40 years in education I was “blown away” by what I discovered. MLWGS has a strong tradition of excellence and many distinguished alumni. Equally important are the staggering opportunities for students to participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities.

I encourage each student to become fully engaged with the school community and for each parent to become an active member of the PTSA and other booster clubs in the school. Your generous gifts of time and volunteering are some of the strengths that make our school successful. 

One a final thought: gaining knowledge and having academic success are very important tools to possess. However, the ability to make connections and develop relationships is an extremely important 21st century skill. A diverse student population from twelve different school districts with varying backgrounds and ideas will provide an excellent opportunity for students to develop skills necessary to compete in a changing world.

You will find a passionate and dedicated staff committed to helping your student succeed!

Have a great year!

Don Skeen
Interim Director, Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School for International Studies and Government