Coming in January! PTSA Programs
PTSA program Teens and Mental Wellness: Anxiety, Depression, Sleep, and Exercise with Dr. Michael Southam-Gerow on January 21, 2015, 8:00 am.
This expert on teens and mental wellness (and a MLWGS parent!) will discuss anxiety, processing failure, sleep deprivation, and other important topics.
Mark your calendar! Achieving Academic Balance: Dual Enrollment, AP, Honors, and Plus with Mr. Karl Zweerink is slated for February 2, 2015, 5:30 pm.
Auction Seeks Corporate Sponsors
Corporate Sponsorship opportunities are still available for this year's Night of the Dragon Auction. There are three levels of sponsorship - $500, $1,000, and $5,000 - and corporate sponsors will be recognized in the electronic parent newsletter, in the auction catalog, on the auction website, and on signage at the event.
The sponsorship deadline is January 24. To learn more or to refer an organization, contact Laura Lewis at 804-354-1566 or Laura.Lewis@GovernorsSchoolFoundation.org.
Sponsoring an event or team at MLWGS is a great way for a company or organization to show its commitment to quality public education.
In 2015 resolve to sign up!
Thanks to all the MLWGS parents who have supported the school through the Kroger Community Rewards Program. From September 1, 2014 to November 30, 2014 the MLWGS community earned $3,396.04, just by registering and doing regular grocery shopping. Currently 104 families have registered. Just think how much more MLWGS could bring in if every family registered with MLWGS business partners.
Register your Kroger Plus card online at krogercommunityrewards.com
- Click on “Sign In/Renew” then click on “SIGN UP TODAY” in the “New Customer?” box.
- Sign up by entering the zip code, clicking on a favorite store, entering an email address, creating a password and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- A link will be sent by email – click on this link.
- Click on “My Account” and use the email address and password to proceed.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and enter the Kroger Plus card number from your card. Update or confirm the information.
- Enter the school NPO number 82125 or Maggie L Walker Governor’s School PTSA, select the school from the list and click on “Confirm”. The school name should appear at the right side of the page.
Prefer Martin’s? Register for A+ School Rewards
To register a card, change the school or add a school (up to 2):
- Log on to www.martinsfoods.com/aplus and designate MLWGS school ID #03112 using your BONUSCARD.
- Or send your Last Name, Phone Number and the 11-digit BONUSCARD number (starting with 48) to email@example.com and MLWGS will take care of it all.
DRAMA PLANNING FOR SPRING MUSICAL
The MLWGS Drama Club and Drama Boosters will hold a joint meeting on Friday, January 9, 6:30 pm until 8:00 pm in the Black Box. This meeting will cover Drama Booster business, and will also include a broad discussion of the upcoming production of Into the Woods. Anyone who is interested in auditioning for the play or students/parents who have questions about auditions, rehearsals or the drama program in general are welcome to attend.
CLUB PICTURES SCHEDULE 2014-15
- All pictures will be taken in the gymnasium during lunch. Please arrive promptly.
- MLWGS clubs may but are not required to create a sign identifying the club’s name to hold up in the picture.
- In the event of school cancellation due to inclement weather, any days missed days will be rescheduled. For example, if MLWGS were closed on Monday, January 5, then that day’s clubs will be rescheduled, but the clubs scheduled for Tuesday, January 6, will keep their original dates and times.
- The following clubs have already had their pictures taken:
- English NHS
- Spanish Club & Honor Society
- Russian Club and SLAVA
- Academic Quiz Bowl
- Club Asia
- Chinese NHS
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Class Officers
- Young Republicans
- French Club & Honor Society
- Peer Mentors
- German Club and Honor Society
- Italian Club & Honor Society
- History Bowl
- The following groups were unable to be photographed but can show up to be photographed any day at lunch, between 11:40 and 12:10, through January 20:
- SCA officers
- Honor Council
- Young Democrats
- Math Contest
- Math Modeling
Monday, January 5
11:40: Science NHS
11:45: Fine Arts Club and Honor Society
11:50: Tri-M Music Honor Society
11:55: Mu Alpha Theta Honor Society
12:10: Model UN
Tuesday, January 6
11:40: We the People
11:50: Thomas Jefferson History NHS
11:55: Civics Society AND B-Movie (separate)
12:00: Environmental Club
12:05: SECSEE 350 AND Esoterica (separate)
12:10: Peer Helpers
Wednesday, January 7
11:40: Model Government/Princeton Model Congress
11:45: USB and Hacky Sack (separate)
11:55: EDM and NeuroPsi (separate)
12:00: Appalachian Heritage Music
12:05: Earth & Mind AND Dodgeball (separate)
Thursday, January 8
11:40: Culinary AND Deadbeats (separate)
11:45: Drama Club & ITS
11:50: FBLA and Futsal (separate)
11:55: FCS and Investment (separate)
12:00: Future Medical Professionals
12:05: Modern Dance AND Origami (separate)
12:10: Red Cross
Monday, January 12
11:40: Foreign Affairs AND Future Problem Solvers (separate)
11:45: Katie’s Company
11:50: Music Orchard AND Global Citizen Corps (separate)
11:55: Green Machine
12:00: International Dance AND Ping-Pong (separate)
12:05: Gender/Sexual Minority Alliance
12:10: Programming AND Project Happy Face (separate)
Tuesday, January 13
11:40: HOLA and Voice International (separate)
11:45: Mu Upsilon Sigma
11:50: Olde School Ballistics AND Dance Team (separate)
12:00: Richmonds of the World AND Satire (separate)
12:05: SAT Prep Club
Wednesday, January 14
11:40: Student Pugwash
11:50: Young Writers Association (this is a change)
11:55: Jazz Band
12:10: Dragons for Vets
Thursday, January 15: Potential make-up pictures due to PSAT rescheduling or weather cancellation.
Monday, January 19: No school
Tuesday, January 20
MAKE-UP PICTURES (due to Dec. 17 Seminars/Mentorships meeting)
11:40: Key Club
11:45: ASL Club & Honor Society
11:55: Japanese Club & Honor Society
12:05: Latin/Classical Club & Honor Society
Wednesday, January 21 will be the make-up day for any pictures remaining due to PSAT rescheduling or weather cancellation.
MLWGS Students earn seats in District Band
Congratulations to the following students for earning seats in the District 1 Band Event based on their audition performances December 13th: Zachary King (’15, Hanover) registered the highest score among clarinets to be seated First Chair in the Symphonic Band and gain eligibility to audition for All-State Band, Benjamin Campbell (’18) registered the highest score among French horns to be seated First chair in the Symphonic Band and gain eligibility to audition for All -State Band, and Samarth Kishor (’17, Henrico) registered the sixth highest score among alto saxophones to be seated Second Chair in the Concert Band.
MLWGS STUDENT PERFORMS IN CONCERT TO BENEFIT HOMELESS
The Fifteenth Annual Christmas Bluegrass Benefit for the Homeless held December 14 at the Station Inn in Nashville, Tennessee raised thousands of dollars this past December thanks in part to MLWGS student Margaret Graham ('15, Petersburg) and her bandmate, Jack Abeel. Eddie and Martha Hearon Adcock, hosts of the event, invited the two, along with a number of other notable performers to help raise money and awareness for the homeless in Nashville. Some of the other guest performers included Alan Sibley and the Magnolia Ramblers, and the legendary mandolin player, Jesse McReynolds. Follow the links to view video selections of performances by Graham and Abeel:
Gear for a New Year at The Dragon's Lair
Reality hits hard the first week after winter break. But you can't hide under that comforter forever. Time to uncurl from that fetal ball, stop ignoring the alarm clock, and Carpe yourself some serious Annum. Help turbocharge your early January mornings with your favorite hot beverage served up in style in our MLWGS Dragons thermal travel mug. Its gleaming stainless steel exterior embodies your determined spirit, and the calming green logo and insulation helps you find your happy place in those early a.m. hours.
You'll find this and a multitude of chic green items at The Dragon's Lair, open every Tuesday and Friday during lunch and at special after-school events. Browse the current collection and check out the post-holiday inventory specials 24/7 at mlwgsdragons.weebly.com. Bring your best new year game face, along with cash and checks, and get going already!